Llandovery 26 Cardiff 24


With the advantage of a strong wind in the first half Cardiff raced into an early lead as a dominating first ten minutes ended with Will Rees-Hole finishing a good move by going under the posts, giving Gareth Thompson an easy conversion. Llandovery tried to get back into the game but the icy wind blowing down the ground made handling difficult and kicking for the home side even harder. Jack Maynard hit the post with a simple penalty attempt after 15 minutes and when Cardiff moved the ball up-field they were able to provide space on the outside for Dan Fish to burst through – with the conversion this time hitting the upright. It was then the home side’s turn for attacking play and when Cardiff gave the Drovers a foothold the home team went to the corner. The visitors held firm though and were able to clear the danger. When they were awarded another penalty in front of the posts though there was no question what they would do and what the result would be and Maynard slotted the ball between the posts. As the penalty count mounted it was inevitable what the outcomes would be and when Fraser Young went off his feet right in front of the posts he saw yellow and Maynard kicked the points. From the kick off Llandovery tried to run the ball out of defence and when the ball was put down in midfield Will Rees-Hole scooped up the loose ball and off-loaded to the supporting Adam Jones to joyfully score under the posts. With the conversion it was 19-6 to Cardiff and the prospect of heading to the dressing room in good condition. There was one more play, however, and Cardiff once again hit the self-destruct button as Rory Pitman infringed – with the inevitable two results, a yellow card and three more points for Jack Maynard.


The second half began with a period of concerted Llandovery pressure against the 13 man visitors and it was no surprise when Richard Brooks went over for a try which Maynard converted. Playing into the wind, and hampered by the reduced numbers Cardiff were finding it hard to get good field position, but Llandovery were wasting some good try scoring opportunities. Finally, the pressure had to tell and after 57 minutes a gap was created in the Cardiff defence for Lee Williams to score. Maynard’s conversion made the score 23 – 19 and still 20 minutes left. A heavy rain shower made conditions even more difficult and with Maynard adding another penalty it seemed all over. Surprisingly in the final quarter Cardiff managed to do what had seemed beyond them all of the second half and spent considerable time on the attack. The pressure finally told when Will Rees-Hole picked up from the back of a ruck and dived over to score. Unfortunately Thompson was unable to convert but the score set up a tense final few minutes. There was, however, no further scoring and the game ended with Llandovery winning 26 – 24.

Latest News